Sunday, March 3, 2013

Community Theater

It is hard when you live in a small town to find a way to fuel your creativity once you are done with high school. You don't have the high school productions to be involved with every year and you don't have a mellow choir class to attend every day. But there is something out there for you.

Community theater is a great creative outlet. You don't have to join a union, it's easy to get cast, and the people are there to have fun. A lot of small towns have a community theater and if not, there are usually some in a nearby town. I have had a lot of fun doing community theater productions in my tiny, boring town and I recommend it to everyone.

There is not all fun and games when it comes to community theater though. I have had many difficult moments with it and I have known many other people in theater world who had the same problems. And this problem is, that everyone in community theater is cliquey.

Now when I say everyone, I don't mean everyone. But the majority of the people in it, are in a shut-off from the world, won't let anyone else in-clique. I have done many productions in community theater and I still do not feel completely welcome. Everyone knows each other and no one talks to me. I have been performing outside of high school in community theater productions since my junior year of high school and I still do not feel welcome. The shows are fun and I love being on that stage, but I feel like an outsider.

I suggest you try community theater because you will have a blast. But maybe bring a friend or two to the audition so you can have some people to interact with during rehearsals.

(I want to make a note that not every community theater in the world is like this. This is just my experience and also, the experience of some of my theater-world friends.)

No comments:

Post a Comment