Monday, March 11, 2013

Stage Vs. Film

Being an actor is a tough job; whether it's stage or film. But I've always thought that acting on stage was a more difficult job. In film, you get to do a scene many, many times, while on stage during a performance you have one shot to make a scene work. If you drop something, that thing is dropped and you can't undo it.

Now I'm bringing this up because today I saw a production of "Wait Until Dark" at a theater in Fresno and I'm sure it was a very difficult show for them to put together. One of the actresses had to play a blind woman, which if you are not blind, is a very hard thing to do. She had to run into pointy furniture, trip over things, touch sharp objects. She had to do dangerous things and there was never a guarantee that it wouldn't actually hurt her. With film, you have stunt doubles, cushioned objects, soft things to land on. There is way less of a chance you will get injured on film than on stage. I can attest to this because there were many times that I have been injured on stage, whether it was falling or running into things.

How many bruises have you got from being on stage?

No comments:

Post a Comment